Precautions to Prevent the Growth of Black Mold
Black mold, which is scientifically known as Stachybotrys atra, is a kind of fungi which needs immediate attention if found at your house. Due to moist, dark, and improper ventilation is grows in bathrooms, kitchen tiles, and other surfaces that are made of wood.
It grows rapidly in humid and moist areas. During its growth, it produces a volatile compound called as Mycotoxin that leads to severe health problems such as hemorrhages in humans.
Even though many a times people tend to ignore Black mold, they realize their mistake going forward. It can cause some serious health problems like hemorrhages, cancer, chronic infections, autoimmune diseases etc.
There are various symptoms to warn you against the mold. Few of them include headache, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, allergies, redness of the eyes, lung diseases, memory loss, blood pressure problems etc.
The favorite place for its growth is an area such as kitchen or bathroom which is usually moist. A leaky pipe might be responsible for the growth of such fungi or maybe even waterbeds or fish tanks which remain wet. Basement can be another place that facilitates the growth as it is more humid than any other area in the house.
Hence, getting rid of this fungus is very essential. Some of the precautionary measures that can be taken to prevent the growth are as follows:
- Maintaining the Humidity Level below 50% - As it mostly grows in areas which have high level of humidity, it is better to maintain humidity level below 50% in the house. This ensures that there is no room for any kind of environment that will promote the growth of the fungus.
- Use an Air conditioner or a Dehumidifier in High Humidity - The level of humidity will be quite high in the atmosphere during humid months. Hence, using an air conditioner or a dehumidifier will reduce the humid content in the air and the scope for growth of any kind is ruled out immediately.
- Ensure Adequate Ventilation - Make sure that your house has exhaust fan facility in the kitchen and in the bathroom. With exhaust fans, there will be sufficient ventilation which will curtail the growth of this fungus.
- Add mold inhibitors to the paints used at home - Black mold is also said to grow on damp walls. Adding mold inhibitors to the paint that is used at home will prevent the growth of Black molds to a great extent.
- Use Mold Killing Products in the Bathroom - Bathroom is said to be one of the most common places where the Black mold grows. Always remember to leave the bathroom dry and keep it clean by using mold killing products. By doing this, the growth of the fungi can be controlled.
- Ensure the carpets are always Dry - Avoid using carpets in bathrooms. If the carpet is found to be wet, immediately replace it with a clean one. Dry the wet carpet in hot sun. This curbs the spread of the mold.
It is very important to control the fungus in its initial stage as it can cause serious health hazards. If your house is already witness to this already grown black mold, it is better to use a detergent mixed with bleach to clean it up. Professional help can also be considered to get rid. Once the whole house is set free, precautions can be taken to avoid its return.
Take necessary precautions. Irrespective of what you’ve to do, do it. Take help from professionals, buy the best products, keep your family, friends, pets, and household items away from the infected area for some time, but just ensure black mold is totally eradicated.
The list of tags is empty.